Beacon College creates television show focused on learning disabilities
There is a world of difference between what typical students need to thrive and the support students with learning disabilities need to thrive. Likewise, while parents of both kinds of children face similar challenges, there are unique hurdles parents rearing children who learn differently must confront in helping their kids navigate a path to success, and support along the way, for them, makes a world of difference.
Created by Beacon College, “A World of Difference” is a newsmagazine program that showcases inspirational stories of neurodiverse individuals and families and exploring the trials and triumphs involved in life with learning and attention issues. Neurodiversity is the scientifically-based view that brain differences like ADHD and autism are normal.
Episodes examine issues along the developmental chart and provide viewers practical, actionable advice mostly from Beacon College experts for negotiating challenges. The Leesburg, Fla.-based nonprofit liberal arts school is America’s first accredited baccalaureate institution dedicated to educating students with learning disabilities, ADHD, dyslexia, and other learning differences.
The show’s “Ask the Experts” segment provides in-depth answers to various questions about learning disabilities.
Each episode closes with the aspirational “Difference Makers.” Candid, revealing interviews showcase famous and/or successful individuals who are thriving with learning disabilities or who stand as champions for individuals with learning disabilities such as former U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin, the architect of the ADA, and scientist and activist Dr. Temple Grandin.
LakeFront TV reaches cable television customers in Lake County and The Villages retirement community on Xﬁnitiy channel 22, Prism 21 (HD1021) while the coverage map goes from Kissimmee-St. Cloud to Gainesville, and Spectrum 497. The show is available everywhere via live streaming on LakeFront TV’s web site LakeFrontTV.com or Apple TV and Roku by downloading the free CableCast app.
Viewers can also catch the program on Beacon College’s Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn channels or on the show’s website, AWODTV.org
- Starting a business as a person with disability while navigating systemic obstacles
- My story living with Chromosome 18q proximal deletion
- Max’s cochlear journey has just begun
- Embracing your identity: Learning to live and thrive with a disability
- Is it hard to get disability in Texas? How to qualify?
- I finally got hearing aids at age 26, after a lifetime of feeling stigmatized
- Preparing for the parenting life when you have a disability
- 4 fun cities to visit on your self-care reset trip
- How to manage an ADHD diagnosis
- Is the United States facing a shortage of nursing homes for people with disabilities?