Top of page
Travel

Canada invests in accessible and affordable transit options

Tram Toronto

On January 16, the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship and Member of Parliament for Central Nova, Sean Fraser, the Minister of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Member of the Legislative Assembly for Pictou Centre, Pat Dunn, Nancy Dicks, Mayor of the Town of New Glasgow, and Danny MacGillivray, Executive Director of Central Highlands Association of the Disabled, announced joint funding of up to $869,650 to enable the Central Highlands Association of the Disabled (CHAD), a non-profit organization in Pictou County, to purchase five new vehicles.

These new vehicles will enable CHAD to offer increased transit service coverage across Pictou County. The additional vehicles will extend CHAD’s door-to-door, scheduled runs and charter transportation services across six municipalities within Pictou County. These vehicles will increase the route coverage and accessibility for vulnerable populations, notably Canadians living with disabilities and seniors, and will allow CHAD to serve more people with fewer trips. This will enhance the quality of life of local residents by making it easier for them to do their day-to-day activities, such as going to work, attending medical appointments, as well as social activities.

These transit options will help low and fixed-income Pictou County residents get around their communities and access programs and services more comfortably and affordably. This investment will make the region more inclusive and accessible for all.

By investing in infrastructure, the Government of Canada is growing our country’s economy, increasing the resiliency of our communities, and improving the lives of Canadians.

“Public transit options should be available to all Canadians, no matter where they live. The Government of Canada’s support for Central Highlands Association of the Disabled’s purchase of new vehicles will help improve the quality of life for residents in Pictou County. Thanks to this project and others like it across the country, we are helping residents in rural and remote communities gain mobility options, access jobs and essential services, and reduce their need to own a private vehicle.” said Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship and Member of Parliament for Central Nova, on behalf of the Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Infrastructure and Communities

“The Chad Transit has created a valuable service for residents that otherwise would not have the means to travel within our community. Appointments for medical reasons and grocery shopping are things the majority of us take for granted and simply hop in our vehicles and be on our way.  CHAD Transit being available to our constituents is greatly appreciated and widely utilized allowing all of our residents the ability to accommodate daily responsibilities.” said Pat Dunn, Minister of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Member of the Legislative Assembly for Pictou Centre

“CHAD Transit is thrilled with the recent announcement from the federal government regarding the Rural Transit Solutions Fund. We received funding for 80% of the cost of four new buses and one ten passenger vehicle. The Province of Nova Scotiacovers the other 20%.  This project, costing $840,171, is the largest one-time transit investment in the history of Pictou County.  It could not come at a better time; CHAD Transit needs this investment in order to continue properly serving our community.” said Danny MacGillivray, Executive Director, CHAD Transit

You might also like

A man in a wheelchair moves to the lift of an accessible bus A man in a wheelchair moves to the lift of an accessible bus

City and County of Honolulu agree to improve paratransit for people with disabilities

The Justice Department announced on Tuesday that it entered into…

blind person boarding the bus blind person boarding the bus

New technology solution “OnBoard” for blind people to access public buses

Technology company Continental, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, and…

Back view of man in his electric wheelchair at underground platform waiting for train with motion blur of passing train in the background Back view of man in his electric wheelchair at underground platform waiting for train with motion blur of passing train in the background

Coventry University gets £20M to improve transport for persons with disabilities

Coventry University has been tasked with helping to change the…

a person pushing a Man in wheelchair on accessible beach with ramp. a person pushing a Man in wheelchair on accessible beach with ramp.

Accessibility upgrades to boost visitors to Sharpes Beach

Visitor numbers will be bolstered at Sharpes Beach under a…