Top of page
Education and Employment

Kids with disabilities study at home because schools cannot provide full-time education

Child with down syndrome painting with paintbrush at the table at home

Around 60% of the parents of children with disabilities said that their children study at home because schools cannot provide special conditions for their full-time education in Russia, according to the ROOI “Perspective” report.

The organization surveyed parents and analyzed the appeals received on its hotline. 27.7% of parents said that the real reason for switching to home education was a serious or long-term illness of the child, which prevents them from attending school.

According to the organization, more than half of homeschooled children have intellectual disabilities (55.3%), and 33% of children have musculoskeletal disorders. 40% of these children study in special schools, the remaining 60% in general education.

Most children with disabilities who are homeschooled are individually trained with educators. 28.6% of parents indicated that their children study individually with teachers at home and school. 11.6% of children attend both individual lessons and general lessons at school with other students.

“The quality of education can also be significantly reduced when the child is homeschooled. Many parents workload of their children, when schooled at home, is much lower than their peers,” the authors of the report added.

You might also like

An elderly lady wearing a face shield sitting on a mobility scooter outside a supermarket during the coronavirus pandemic, Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK

UK supermarkets teeter on discrimination against customers with disabilities

Due to calls for tougher COVID-19 precautions from the government,…

indian female office incharge working on personal computer in India

India publishes a list of jobs identified for persons with disabilities

India’s Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DePWD), on…

Kirstie Dallas with Esme

UK mother creates a ‘Room-of-Her-Own’ for daughter with rare visual disability

Kirstie Dallas’ dream finally came true when she was able…

Eric Parsa, right, is seen with his mother, Donna Lou, center, and father, Daren Parsa.

Louisiana Law Enforcement sued by parents in wrongful death of ‘Severely Autistic’ son

On January 19, 2020, in a Louisiana shopping centre parking…